Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Shrimp Sinigang (Shrimp in sour broth)

For all of you who has been following my blog should know that I am a certified Filipina. I was born and raised in the Philippines and has been for my entire life or until I got married to my husband who  and had various opportunities to work and live abroad more particularly in the US. One of our comfort food is called "sinigang" which means any kind of meat or seafood cooked in a sour soup base. The sour soup is usually made of tamarind pods, guavas, local lime (kalamansi) or ginger lily (kamias). It's been almost a month since we left Manila and the cold weather makes it perfect timing for me to make it for dinner last night. In this recipe, I used the store-bought tamarind soup mix because I can't find any of the above in the Asian supermarket where I shop. I hope you enjoy this recipe. My husband loved it!


Ingredients:
  • 1 Pound medium-sized shrimp, cleaned spikes removed.
  • 1 Packet tamarind soup base, I used Knorr
  • 2 Large tomatoes, sliced quartered
  • 1 Medium onion, sliced quartered
  • 1 Large Eggplant, cut in 1/4 inch thick
  • 3 Bunches of Bok Choy, separated and ends removed
  • 1 Medium Daikon Radish, cut in 1/4 inch thick
  • 4 Serrano peppers
  • 8 Cups water
  • Fish sauce and Pepper
note: Depending on the kind of vegetables available in the market, you can also add: Okra, String Beans, Spinach if Bok Choy is not available

Cooking Instructions:
  1. Bring 8 cups of water to a boil. Then add the tomatoes, onion, radish and the sinigang powder. Cook for 15 minutes on medium-high heat until the radish color becomes a bit clear.
  2. Add the  eggplant, shrimp, bok choy and serrano peppers. Cook covered for 5 minutes or until the shrimps turn pink in color. Season with fish sauce and black pepper.
  3. Serve with a hot steamed rice and fish sauce on the side, if preferred. 





No comments:

Post a Comment