Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Grocery Shopping

Sharing with you some of the shopping items I've been picking up from Whole Foods and Trader Joe's lately. Since coming here was like a food adventure for me, I've been buying stuff that's remotely available in Manila or very expensive ones that I can't afford back home. It's quite a shock how they're really cheap this side of the world. I'm guessing maybe because it's not imported, and they're grown locally? Anyhow, here are my new discoveries:

Quinoa.
I've seen and heard Quinoa before but never really tried it until this happened. Picked it from Trader Joe's salad section and I am smitten. Been buying this once a week since I've discovered it. So good! Up to now I'm still trying to figure out how to make the vinaigrette used in this salad. Until then, I will buying. 
Himalayan Pink Salt.
This is not very common in Manila and very expensive too. You can only get it at Rustan's supermarket or other high end grocery shops. Here it' like 3.99$ for this bottle. Cheap! This claims to have better health benefits than regular sea salt and table salt.

 Cherries.
It'll cost you a week's worth of food allowance to be able to buy this in Manila. Like are you kidding me?? Here is only costs around 3$ a pound or sometimes you'd get buy one take one deals.
 Organic Spring Mix.
I'm such a salad junkie and this comes in handy whenever I am too lazy to make anything for myself for lunch. It's  pre-washed so no need to rinse it. Just toss in your favorite vinaigrette like the one below.
 Vegan Balsamic Vinaigrette.
I love this vegan balsamic vinaigrette I got from whole foods.
I will share with you recipes within the week.Trying to keep a healthy and balanced diet back home was never easy in fact, it is very expensive. Here, I'd say not very cheap too, but affordable. Won't break the bank.

How about you? What are your new discoveries? Share your thoughts in the comment box below.
XoXo.

No comments:

Post a Comment